Tuesday, March 1, 2011

MEMORIES 2001: A new husband, a fresh passport and a ticket to Italy!

2001 was an amazing year for me.  I quit my job, I got married, I moved to another state, and I traveled abroad for the first time in my life.  What better place to begin than the magical, romantic city of Venice! 


 Every day was a new adventure through narrow streets and over charming bridges.  My favorite thing to do was just walk aimlessly and accidentally discover the most picturesque places I had ever seen.  I only wish 12 megapixel cameras were invented back then!!  But I am grateful to have captured the images we have and look forward to our 10th anniversary return trip.

The Rialto Bridge is so incredibly amazing even with the hustle and bustle of massive crowds of tourists (and I hate crowds).  I liked going in the early morning when it's quieter to watch the sun bring the Grand Canal to life.  The views of as well as from the Rialto Bridge are like standing in a painting from hundreds of years ago.  It's almost indescribable.

Being in Venice for our Honeymoon we definitely could not pass up a Gondola ride!  Yes, it was expensive, but it was also absolutely unforgettable!  Our tour began on the Grand Canal and weaved through many little beautiful canals offering wonderful photo ops.   



Every night I looked forward to getting a table outside on the square to listen to the beautiful live music while sipping espresso or cappuccino.  Besides the high prices for coffee, the cafes charge a table fee! But it was worth every penny.  Each cafe takes a turn playing a few numbers before the next starts playing.  By the end of the night there was a huge mass of a crowd that would stand and just move from one cafe to the next to hear the music and avoid the seating charge.

For its beauty, history and charm, Venice continues to be one of my all time favorite cities.  It is so stunning that I think it is impossible to take a bad picture here even with my ancient cheap 35mm. Not bad considering, huh?









1 comment:

  1. I think your 35mm pics are still better than my 14 megapixel shots, LOL!

    ReplyDelete