Monday, May 2, 2011

Make way for Ducklings! 14 to be exact!

There is a pair of ducks that live in the creek behind my place that have gotten quite used to me. So much so that they would come running out of the creek at the sound of my voice or my Yorkie's bark. I named them Harry and Sally. Harry took such good care of Sally...letting her eat first and following wherever she went. They came faithfully twice a day for a few weeks but recently have only come by maybe once a week. I was hoping it was because they were sitting on their eggs and boy was I right! Just this afternoon I was walking by with Allie and something caught my eye in the creek. I looked over and out from the reeds floated Sally surrounded by her fourteen adorable ducklings! She was very much the proud mama presenting her babies for the first time. A little hesitant, but hungry and she seemed to recognize me. I ran to my place to grab some treats (and camera, of course) and here are some photos of the cuteness that ensued: [click on photos for a closer look]

There isn't much that's cuter than this


Presenting ducklings!

Proud Mama Duck



Sleepy Duckling

Happy Duckling

Following mama every move she makes

Gaining a little independence


Cruising the creek

Taking a bath

Duckling reflection

Time for a nap. Everyone squeeeeeeeze!

It took many tries, but all 14 ducklings fit under mom this time.
Can you see the little duck bill peeking out under her right wing?

No comments:

Post a Comment